Friday, December 26, 2008

little boy Christmas blues

We had a very small Christmas this year: money's been tight and Mom just couldn't afford much. In fact, we've never really gotten much for Christmas but as children it never really bothered us cause none of us had many friends so it was difficult for us to compare. My little brother does have good friends though (the ones that call you on Christmas morning to share what they got) so he knows that compared to his friends he received very few gifts. To add to his jealousy, three of his friends received the Nintendo Wii for Christmas and called him that morning while he was playing with his sole toy: a new box of lego. Needless to say, he wasn't in the best of spirits that morning.
I know Christmas isn't about the gifts and all that, but it was really hard to see him upset. And it's not like his sadness was a spoiled kid kind of tantrum, he was just being a little boy.
I shared this story with a friend last evening who then called me today to tell me that he and several other people we know have all chipped in to buy our family a Wii. I'm stubborn so it's hard for me to accept something like that but I know my Mom and brother will be pretty touched when they find out. People can be really nice sometimes!
On the Christmas gift front... Mom asked my sister and I if we felt Christmas had been a bit small: we admitted it had, lol. However, it turns out she forgot a couple of our gifts which explains why things had seemed a little meager. We all got a good laugh...
I slept in my new pj's last night though! And started reading my new book by Naomi Klein: Shock Doctrine and so far I'm really enjoying it! And "Santa" got all pratical this year giving me a box of kleenex, some windex, paper towels and dish soap... that or it's a hint!
Anyways, I'm going to go do some more reading: must finish up the Catcher in the Rye!

1 comment:

Caffeinated Weka said...

I've yet to the The Catcher in the Rye, but it remains in my ever-growing 'to be read' list.
*must read more ...*