Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Holocaust Class

I'm going to learn alot this term, so you in turn will as well. I got to transfer into a new course on Monday on the Holocaust. Tonight's readings were enlightening to say the least and they've left me feeling pretty unsettled an bit ticked off. They were primary documents focusing on the history of anti-semitism. One excerpt was part of Martin Luther's book, "On the Jews and Their Lies". I am thoroughly unimpressed with it and quite shocked: I had no idea of his feelings regarding Judaism.
Equally shocking was a papal bull from Pope Paul IV in 1555 and an excerpt from a vatican newspaper in 1893 which both expressed strong anti-semitic opinions. This has led me to look at whether the Catholic Church has ever formally apologized for these instances (and I'm sure there were more).
I had been completely unaware that anti-semitism had such strong roots in history and was definitely not new to the Nazi's. It has certainly already become a very intereseting class.

No comments: