Sunday, June 22, 2008

"Just send me a facebook message!"

I was a little hesitant about joining the whole facebook craze a few years ago. I'd never done the myspace thing. I had my blog and that amused me enough. But after some friendly pressure I joined. I don't know if I'd say I regretted it but it definitely has its downfalls: procrastination and a huge waste of time being the maine thing. And then I guess I could go all sociological and complain about how it's ruining our ability to communicate personally, how it's seperating us from real people etc but I won't. Then there's the whole friend race thing, who has more, does that make you really special and all that (somehow I have a ton of friends but I only speak to about 10 of them...). It's great for catching up to people in your past but sometimes I'd really not like to be hearing about who's pregnant, who's marrying who or who's getting "real drunk tonight!".
Today's facebook story involves people you would not expect to add you as a friend. I got home this afternoon to find a friend request from someone who's dated a few people I know, one of those people being someone I wasn't ready to see dating. I was pretty sure this person was aware of my uneasiness towards them and that I'd really rather not have much to do with them, at least for the time being. Apparently I was wrong (or maybe it was an attempt to be friendly, I don't know - I'm a pessimist). Anyways, I mulled over the friend request most of the day and finally decided it wasn't a road I wanted to go down (my, how serious facebook can get) so I went to click the ignore button, unfortunately I accidently hit the confirm one. Luckily for me there's a remove friend option.
That's my story for the day. Now I have to go find some actual academic sources to put in my philosophy paper instead of just my own insane ramblings... but isn't that just what philosophy is?

No comments: