Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Good thoughts in the dead of winter

Sometimes I wonder if I've really changed all that much since high school, if I'm still the same pathetic teenager I was then but you know, I have changed. Alot.
When I look back at the past four years or so, I can see where I've changed and grown. Most of it in relation to emotional and mental health. I still have my bad days, if anything I have more of them then I did then. But I've come to deal with them completely differently, rarely do I seriously consider the things I would have done then. I can honestly say its been a year since I've followed through with any self-injury thoughts or behaviors. I'd say this is a good thing!
I'm not really sure why this has changed, I think I've just found new ways of dealing, I've have a different friend base now, ones who I can talk to and not worry about what I say getting them down too. I know they'll be understanding, they'll be concerned for me of course but concern for me will not mean concern for them.
I've picked up new habits, I wouldn't call them bad but I wouldnt't call them good either. I'm much more likely to say I need a night out that involves a few drinks and the possibility of new friends. And I won't deny that after a long horrible day I don't sit down to watch a favorite tv show with a glass of wine.
I have alot more going for me now I think, alot more to live for. I've got school and if I work hard enough at it I know there's a future in more education for me. I've got some amazing friends, who I wouldn't want to be doing any of this without. Habitat gives me a feeling of accomplishment, I feel like I'm giving something worth while within society instead of just taking.
I'm happy, but I'm also content. I like the ways things are, there are a few things that would make it better but I am also aware that even with those things there are still going to be bad times, rough patches and just bad days and that's just part of life and I think I'm growing more and more okay with that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I continue to be proud of you, kiddo. Just thought you should know that.

SusieQ said...

Thank you, hearing that makes it even more worth it.