Sunday, January 6, 2008

So that was fun

So I had my very first (and hopefully last) MRI today. And I am pretty sure I would rather be stuck with a thousand needles than do that again.
The woman was so concerned that I was claustrophobic and that that would be the problem with my getting through it. That wasn't however the problem however. Mind you, I won't tell you I loved the walls going to collapse around me feeling or the small amound of breathing space, that definetly didn't help and its not so hot when you're in the middle of an anxiety attack but what bother me was the noise. Episodes of House had me very unprepared for the noise I was about to endure. Very unprepared. I was expected noise but nothing like that. Nothing like need-ear-plugs-kind of noise. Now, I don't like loud noises or alot of noise at all for that matter. I can't turn the television up much higher than a few bars, I don't listen to my music loud. I am just learning to listen to music on headphones and I still can't do it for long. I am not a fan of fireworks, or sirens, I don't like large vehicle horns and I hate barking dogs, yelling people and crying babies. I don't like to go to bars not cause of the large amount of people, or the stuffiness: I don't like the noise. So for me this was really hard, couple it with the small space, general nervousness about the procedure, the pressure to lie still for so long and then the needle and then the reaction I had to the needle and it was not a fun time. To make matters worse, the 30 minutes on the table got stretched out over an hour and a half cause an emergency patient came in and I had to be taken off to have his done and then put back on. Then they had to take me out to inject me with a dye so as to light up my eyes (as if they were already beautifully lit :) and then stick me back in.
So yeah.. I came out crying, had to make her stop once so I could be sick because of the panic attack I was having and then when it was over I was shaking so bad I couldn't stand up. All in all, tons of fun.
However, she said my brain took very good pictures. At least one part of me is photogenic.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What was the MRI for?
They are noisy, aren't they? I had one once for my jaw, and you can't even move a little bit.

SusieQ said...

I've been having some headaches and troubles with my eyes.